8.07.2007

Question:

Is multitasking the only way to exist as a modal upwardly mobile young professional?

. . .

In my opinion, yes. While not being psychologically ideal, it is the only way that allows one to take advantage (but not full advantage) of all the opportunities available.

You know, I've been actually grappling with this issue a lot lately. So much of what I've read (mostly from Fromm) outright denounces multitasking, blaming it largely for our culture's plight of attention disorders and general lack of concentration and even will power. I feel in the long run that it's so much more worthwhile to have a mind that is capable of focusing on one thing completely. However, I know that in the short run having the skills of a multitasker are necessary for survival in society. In short, I do not think it is the only way to exist as an upwardly mobile young professional, but that it is the only way to be a successful young professional. Still as I write this, I am serenaded by Pandora, I have the TV on, and readily available pizza to my left. I think when I retire I want to stop multitasking, if not sooner.

Not only does Fromm denounce multitasking but so do psychologists everywhere, especially media psychology for all the reasons you already have stated. The current trend of practicing mindfulness as a way to combat anxiety or worry (which is also on the rise given our lifestyle) runs in complete opposite of being able to multitask. You cannot do many things mindfully at the same time. I have been trying to practice this when doing the dishes, which seems to be the only time I can just focus on what I am doing. Actually any sort of physical labor is just about the only thing that I can do without doing or thinking anything else. Maybe we need to become more physical, so multitasking just isnt an option.

I would much rather relinquish success and all that it may bring in order to have the ability to be patient and do only one thing at a time given the quiet that acting mindfully can create, even if only superficially.

No comments: